THE STUDENT who claimed his Samsung Galaxy S3 exploded wasn't exactly telling the truth, as Samsung has revealed that it was an "external source" that caused the handset to melt.
Last month, Irish forum user dilo2k10 took to the web to claim that his Galaxy S3 handset had randomly caught fire in his car, causing the phone's plastic body to melt.
"So I driving along today with my Galaxy S3 in my car mount when suddenly a white flame sparks and a bang came out of the phone," he said. "I pulled in to look at my phone, the phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone. The phone kept working but without any signal."
However, it's now been uncovered that dilo2k10 might have been telling a porky pie, as Samsung claims that the melting was caused by an "external power source", most likely a domestic microwave.
The fire investigation unit that worked closely with Samsung explains, "The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device" and "the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire".
It added, "The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."
It sounds like somebody might have tried to repair their water damaged Galaxy S3 by sticking it in the microsave.
The Dublin student who posts as dilo2k10 admitted that the story was made up, saying, "I would like to retract my original statement.
"The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone.
"It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake." µ
Home, Home on the strange
Team Red is prepping Navi for the budget GPU arena
Early-adopters beta be careful
China back in your hands