MICROSOFT'S recently-announced Surface Pro charger recall followed 56 reports of cables catching fire, according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
The recall, which was announced two weeks ago, has seen Microsoft urge 2.25 million Surface Pro owners to ditch their risky AC power cords, the CPSC has revealed, despite previous reports that the recall affected "hundreds of thousands" of Surface users.
As well as 56 known incidents of cables catching fire as a result of overheating, it's also been revealed that Microsoft reported five incidents of electrical shock to consumers.
News of the recall first came via Channelomics Europe, and Microsoft it in a blog post which urged Surface Pro owners to get rid their charging cable and order a replacement.
Those affected can order a replacement cable free of charge on Microsoft's dedicated web page, and there's an option for business customers to order in bulk. Microsoft's website also offers guidance on how to dispose of or recycle existing power cords safely and in accordance with local regulations.
The recall reportedly applies to all Surface Pro models sold before 15 July 2015. The newest Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book are not believed to be at risk, as the warning is directed at owners of the Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3.
A Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement sent to The INQUIRER: "As a result of damage caused by AC power cords being wound too tightly, twisted or pinched over an extended period of time, a very small proportion of Surface Pro customers have reported issues with their AC power cord."
A risk of power cables catching fire isn't the only problem that has affected Microsoft's Surface tablet line-up.
Microsoft was forced to apologise to owners of the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book in December after a number of faults were reported with the Windows 10-powered devices. These included a "weird screen flicker", slowness in waking from sleep mode and worse than expected battery life. µ
Plane speaking is no substitute for flighty behaviour
The bride wore graphic grey and doubled as photographer
So now we've got one, in the form of the Inspiron 17 7000
German encoding machine found in shed in Essex