We've got a number of tools in our armoury [Not weapons? Ed.] - Hazel Lewis - UK government minister
SAMSUNG KICKED OFF its defence against Apple's $2bn patents lawsuit by slamming the case as an "attack" against Google's Android mobile operating system, claiming Apple is just trying to fend off smartphone competition.
Apple and Samsung's patents lawsuit went to trial earlier this week, and the rival firms presented their opening arguements on Tuesday. Samsung waded in with all guns blazing, claiming that Apple's lawsuit is in fact an attack on Google's Android software rather than the Samsung smartphones in question.
John Quinn, a lawyer representing Samsung told the jury, "What this case is really about is Apple trying to limit consumer choice" and "trying to gain from you in this courtroom what it has lost in the marketplace".
"It's an attack on Android. That's what this case is," Quinn added, according to Bloomberg's lowdown of the trial.
Apple wasn't having any of it though, and warned the court that Samsung likely would use such tactics in an attempt to influence the jury.
Harold McElhinny, a lawyer for Apple said that the Korean firm was "going to point the finger at Google" by claiming that the features at issue are "Android software" that it gets from Google.
"Don't be misled. This case is not about Google. It is Samsung, not Google that has made the decision to put these features in its phones," McElhinny argued.
Samsung and Apple's latest patents lawsuit likely will be a lengthy and a costly one. The two rival firms are arguing before US District Court Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, with Apple claiming that a number of Samsung smartphones, including the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2, infringe five of its patents, and it wants $2bn in damages.
Samsung has countered with claims that Apple infringes its patented technology for data transmission, imaging, audio, and video in its iPhone, iPad and Mac devices. µ
Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ