PROTESTERS are thowing distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks at NATO systems, according to its Twitter account.
NATO spokeswoman Oana Lungescu took to the social network to tell the world that the assault was taking place, but consoled spectators with the news that no NATO systems had been harmed. The attacks appear to be ongoing.
"Several #NATO websites have been target of significant DDoS attack. No operational impact. Our experts working to restore normal function," she said on Saturday.
"DDoS attack on some #NATO sites ongoing but most services restored. Integrity of NATO data & systems not affected. We continue working on it," was the follow-up on Sunday.
In her latest messages Lungescu said that the attack is ongoing, but that the systems are fine. Her last message was a retweeted headline from Reuters that linked to a report of the incident and suggested that it had to do with tensions in Crimea.
A group called Cyber Berkut has taken credit for the DDoS assault, and in a statement on its website, in Russian, it said that it did not appreciate NATO interference.
"We will not allow the presence on the territory of the NATO occupation of our homeland," it said. "We declare that today at 18:00 we launched an attack on NATO resources."
On Friday NATO secretary general Fogh Rasmussen said that he was following events in the country.
"I continue to follow developments in Ukraine with great concern. The so-called referendum in the Ukrainian Autonomous Republic of Crimea planned on 16 March would be a direct violation of the Ukrainian constitution and international law. If held, it would have no legal effect or political legitimacy," he said.
"Holding this referendum would undermine international efforts to find a peaceful and political solution to the crisis in Ukraine. It would run counter to the principles of the United Nations Charter. It is vital that those principles be upheld." µ
Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ