JAPANESE VIDEO GAMES COMPANY Nintendo reportedly is looking to mobile devices to save its struggling business, after it admitted last week that the Wii U isn't selling.
On Thursday, Nintendo slashed its Wii U sales forecast, acknowledging that despite previously expecting to shift nine million units between April 2013 and March this year, it now expects sales of just 2.8 million. Nintendo's 3DS console isn't selling well either, leading the firm to admit that it expects to post a $240m annual loss.
These clearly are signs that Nintendo is losing its appeal in the gaming market, and although there are still many dedicated Wii U gamers out there, the firm is struggling to compete against the Sony Playstation 4 (PS4) and Microsoft Xbox One games consoles.
It seems that Nintendo is starting to realise this too, and it admitted over the weekend that it might look to mobiles and tablets to save the future of the company, following rumours that the firm may be planning its own Android tablet for educational use.
Although the company had previous said that you're unlikely to ever see Mario Kart running on an iPhone, Nintendo president Satoru Itawa hinted that the firm's stance on mobile devices has changed, with the company exploring the possibiilty of bringing its titles to smartphones and tablets.
"We are thinking about a new business structure. Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business," Itawa said.
"The way people use their time, their lifestyles, who they are have changed. If we stay in one place, we will become outdated."
However, Itawa admitted, "It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone," hinting that the firm will develop dedicated games for mobile devices, rather than porting those it already has. µ
Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ