BUBBLY MOBILE OPERATOR O2 has suffered yet another network outage that left customers without connections throughout most of Thursday.
O2 confirmed the outage on its website, revealing that the problems began around 11am on 3 October and that the outage has been fixed.
This particular outage seemingly wasn't as dramatic as others suffered by the mobile operator previously, with the downtime affecting just one percent of its customers and having been fixed in a matter of hours. That didn't stop customers from moaning, though, and those on the O2 network who were affected by the outage were quick to take to Twitter to rant.
One user whined, "Please don't try to pass the blame to my handset. Your outage made the national press. 3rd in a year. No apology. Bye bye O2."
Another added, "Yesterday's outage caused me genuine disruption. Will I be recompensed?", and we're guessing the answer to the user's question is likely to be "No".
O2 explained the reason for the outage on its website. It said, "On Thursday 3 October, around [one] percent of O2 customers experienced some difficulty making and receiving calls and texts, or using data.
"This was the result of unexpected congestion caused during routine upgrade work on our 2G and 4G networks. The problems were intermittent and resolved in a matter of hours.
"We apologise to those customers affected and would like to thank them for their patience."
O2 also told The INQUIRER that the outage wasn't location specific and affected customers across all areas of the UK.
One of O2's most dramatic outages was perhaps the one that occurred in July 2012. The O2 network - along with Giffgaff and Tesco Mobile - was out of action for a number of days, and O2 was forced to offer customers compensation for the prolonged downtime. µ
Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ