The Inquirer-Home

Man sentenced to jail for DDoS attacks on police and Oxbridge websites

Kentish lad gets two years in stir
Thu May 16 2013, 17:25
Hacker in hoodie

A MAN FROM KENT has been sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty to blocking access to university and police websites.

Lewys Stephen Martin was sentenced today after having been charged in the dark days of last November. He plead guilty in April.

According to a statement from Kent Police, Martin was sentenced on nine criminal counts, five counts of "unauthorised acts with intent to impair operation of or prevent/hinder access to a computer", two of "unauthorised computer access with intent to commit other offences", one of "unauthorised computer access with intent to commit other offences" and one of "unauthorised access to computer material".

Martin isn't alone in being sentenced today and he joins the Lulzsec four in learning of his plans for the next couple of years. While the Lulzsec hackers were criticised for their mayhem, Kent Police said that Martin's denial of service attacks on it and Oxford and Cambridge University websites, caused only "temporary" problems.

"Cyber attacks are a nuisance and cause aggravation as well as costs to countless private and public organisations up and down the country. Most websites have systems in place to prevent them being compromised, and none of those attacked in these instances suffered any more than a temporary disruption," said investigating officer detective constable Nicky Holland-Day.

"However, those who try to carry out these attacks will be traced and brought before the courts, like Martin, to face the consequence of their actions."

Martin was jailed in May 2012 after he was found guilty of distributing a hack for the Call of Duty game that was actually malware. µ


Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

INQ Poll

Happy new year!

What tech are you most looking forward to in 2015