SOCIAL NETWORK Facebook has confirmed that it will remove videos of people having their heads cut off.
The firm is responding to an increasing outcry over the kind of content that its users upload to and 'like' on its servers.
Facebook users do not limit themselves to videos of cats falling on ice, no, some upload grotesque clips, which others enjoy.
According to the BBC, fans of beheadings have indulged themselves on Facebook's webpages. It said that Facebook was asked to remove one video, but resisted.
"People are sharing this video on Facebook to condemn it. Just as TV news programmes often show upsetting images of atrocities, people can share upsetting videos on Facebook to raise awareness of actions or causes," it said in an earlier statement.
"While this video is shocking, our approach is designed to preserve people's rights to describe, depict and comment on the world in which we live."
Since then the firm has had a change of stance, and told The INQUIRER that it is evaluating its policies and will remove videos as they arose while it is doing so.
"We will remove instances of these videos that are reported to us while we evaluate our policy and approach to this type of content," it said.
The controversy started after a video of a woman being beheaded by a masked man was uploaded to the social networking website.
Despite being home to videos of beheadings, Facebook posted reasonable first quarter results on Wednesday. The social network said it saw its revenues grow 40 percent to $1.4bn, although it didn't see much improvement in profits. µ
Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ