Since the start of last year it has hemmed and hawed over Google's work on personal data privacy, and now as spring approaches it is back at it and is threatening Google with "coordinated repressive action" by it and its European peers.
"On October 16, 2012 and after several months' investigation lead by the CNIL, the European data protection authorities have published their joint conclusions on Google's new confidentiality rules. The authorities recommended to Google to improve data subjects' information and clarify the combination of data across Google's services," it said in a statement on its website.
"Lastly, they asked Google to provide precise retention periods for the personal data it processes. After a [four] months deadline that was granted to Google in order to comply with the European data protection regulation and to implement effectively G29's recommendations, no answer has been given."
The October conclusions were that Google's privacy policies were disorganised and scattershot and allowed for "uncontrolled combination of data across services".
Google told us that it respects countries' laws and that it has "engaged fully" with the CNIL on the creation of new services.
However, going forward Google can expect more pressure and continued investigation from the CNIL.
The French data privacy regulator said that it will set up a working group, which it will lead, and coordinate a response by this summer. It said the future of this working group will be decided at the end of February. µ
It's time for our regular two-step through the Google news
Bug bounty offer: accepted