The Inquirer-Home

Samsung won't hold an MWC press conference

Debunks rumours of a Galaxy S4 unveiling
Wed Jan 30 2013, 13:25
Samsung booth at CES 2013

KOREAN PHONE MAKER Samsung won't hold a press conference at this year's Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, a spokesperson for the company has told The INQUIRER.

Debunking rumours that it will announce its next generation Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone at the conference, Samsung has said that it won't be holding a "large scale" event, suggesting that it will have no major products to announce at this year's MWC.

A Samsung spokesperson told us, "We won't be having a large scale press conference but instead like last year there will be a media lounge and stand tours, etc."

Instead of any major releases, it's likely that Samsung will use the Spanish mobile technology expo to showcase its latest mid-range smartphones, along with its latest Android tablets. At last year's conference, for example, Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Bean Android smartphone along with its Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Galaxy Note 10.1 tablets.

The Samsung Galaxy S4, on the other hand, is likely to have its own, Apple-style launch event. If last year's event is anything to go by, this will likely take place in April, although this is yet to be confirmed.

Samsung isn't the only mobile giant to shun this year's Mobile World Congress in favour of a glitzy launch event. HTC, for example, sent invitations to an event on 19 February where it is expected to announce its next generation flagship smartphone, and ZTE silently unveiled new products ahead of MWC today.

Samsung was unable to reveal any further details on its MWC plans. µ

 

Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

Advertisement
INQ Poll

Masque malware is putting iPad and iPhone user data at risk

Has news of iOS malware made you reconsider getting an iPhone?