The Inquirer-Home

Kim Dotcom apologises for problematic Mega launch

Didn’t expect such mega demand
Tue Jan 22 2013, 09:50
mega-image

FILE STORAGE MAGNATE Kim Dotcom has waited for the ticker tape to settle before apologising for the problems with his Mega launch.

Mega, a replacement for the shuttered Megaupload, launched last Saturday with much fanfare. However, website demand was high and many users struggled to access it deep into Sunday.

Dotcom was pleased with the traffic on the day, but since then has apologised.

"The massive global PR around the #Mega launch is simply to big to handle for our start-up. I apologize for poor service quality," said the man with 250,000 Twitter followers about the launch of a service that gives people 50GB of free online storage.

"We are making good progress. Adding servers & fixing bugs. It should not be long until you can enjoy #Mega without hiccups."

Dotcom was excited by the rush of first day traffic and revealed that 250,000 users signed up in the first hour.

However, he admitted that no one had checked the systems to make sure that they could handle all that demand.

"We launched Mega without traffic tests. That's like building a sports car from scratch and taking it straight to the Gumball," he said.

"Mega is slowly stabilizing. Still fixing small bugs and issues with some servers. You can expect a smooth experience soon."

Dotcom said that he would not reveal how many users have signed up to the service. µ

 

Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

Advertisement
INQ Poll

Apple announces the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch

Which of Apple's new products will you be buying?