The Inquirer-Home

O2 will sell phones without chargers

Majority of people don't need them
Thu Jan 17 2013, 16:19
USB cable

BUBBLY MOBILE OPERATOR O2 announced today that it will sell all mobile phones without a charger in the box, after a successful trial it carried out with HTC.

O2's trial, which it launched in September last year, saw the network selling HTC's One X+ smartphone without a wall charger included in the box, just a USB to microUSB cable. The mobile operator said today that the trial was a compete success, with 82 percent of One X+ buyers choosing not to buy an additional charger kit.

HTC regional director Phil Robertson said, "Along with O2, we've been encouraged by the numbers of people who have taken our flagship handset without a USB charger.

"This pilot demonstrates that, if we inform our customers about the environmental impact of wasted phone chargers and the benefits of using the chargers and mains adapters that they already own, they respond positively to the message."

O2 said that continuing its chargerless scheme could avoid more than 24 million chargers being sold annually, which O2 called "a huge environmental saving".

O2 CEO Ronan Dunne said, "More than four-in-five of our smartphone customers who have participated in the trial are willing to buy a new phone from us and to use an existing charging device to attach it to the mains.

"The results of the trial demonstrate a clear willingness among consumers to consider and respond to the environmental argument for taking a phone charger-free.

"I now hope that as a result of this study the rest of the industry will now consider joining us in our campaign to take chargers out of the box for good." µ

 

Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

Advertisement
INQ Poll

Microsoft's Windows 10 Preview has permission to watch your every move

Does Microsoft have the right to keylog users of its Windows 10 Technical Preview?