CANADIAN PHONE MAKER Research in Motion (RIM) will investigate why an 11 year old boy's Blackberry handset "exploded" in an incident that reportedly left the boy scarred for life.
According to multiple reports, 11 year old Kian McCreath has been left scarred after his brother's Blackberry Curve 9320 caught fire. The Belfast Telegraph reports that the phone "erupted" into flames and set Kian's duvet alight.
Kian's mother Sarah, who is now calling for the handset to be recalled from shops, told the newspaper, "I thought nothing of it, made a cup of tea, then I heard a really loud 'pop' sound. Kian started screaming at the top of his voice, shouting 'My bed's on fire!'"
Kian, who was rushed to hospital in Coventry, suffered burns on his legs.
RIM says it is planning to investigate the issue, although it says that it has not yet received the faulty device from the distraught family.
RIM told The INQUIRER in a statement, "RIM takes claims of this nature very seriously and a senior member of our team met with the family today [December 4] to initiate a full investigation into this matter.
"In order to proceed with this investigation, we require the products that were involved in this incident to be made available for a full technical review.
"At this point in time, the family has not provided RIM with the battery or charger for analysis and have said they are unable to locate the device itself.
"We have a team on standby to conduct this investigation as a priority as soon as the family makes these products available to us. RIM is committed to ensuring our products are safe and we invest significantly in R&D and testing to ensure we meet or exceed all regulatory standards here in the UK and around the world." µ
How does Canonical's Ubuntu OS fare on mobile?
The top 10 stories from the past seven days
SoC will debut in Google Daydream-compatible devices
For all the firm's hits there have been plenty of misses