The Inquirer-Home

Man arrested for denial of service attack on Theresa May

Might have incited others
Wed Nov 07 2012, 09:40
Hacker

A MAN HAS BEEN ARRESTED on suspicion of launching and promoting a denial of service attack on the website of UK Home Secretary Theresa May.

The man is unnamed, but is said to be 41 years old and from Stoke on Trent, He is accused of mounting an attack on May's website and others, and of inciting other people to participate.

"The activity this morning demonstrates the commitment of the PCeU (Police Central e-Crime Unit) and our colleagues to combat cyber criminality anywhere within the UK and take action against those responsible," said detective inspector Jason Tunn of the Metropolitan Police.

"Assisting and encouraging cyber crime is a serious matter and I would advise all persons to consider their actions and any possible future consequences prior to posting any material online."

May's website was attacked earlier this year as part of Operation Trial At Home, an Anonymous backed effort to raise awareness about ongoing extradition controversies, including those affecting Richard O'Dwyer and Gary McKinnon.

Optrial At Home, as it was called on Twitter, was announced by an account called AnonopUK.

"#OpTrialAtHome We will be firing our Laz0rs at GCHQ.gov.uk 8pm GMT 14th April, We invite all #Anons again to join," it said in a tweeted message that has now apparently been deleted. That account was still sending out messages late last night.

Whoever was arrested was nicked on suspicion of assisting or encouraging crime contrary to the Serious Crime Act 2007. The man has been bailed until mid-December. µ

 

Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

Advertisement
INQ Poll

Coding challenges

Who’s responsible for software errors?