The Inquirer-Home

Onlive promises business as usual

Gamers won’t lose their games
Fri Aug 24 2012, 14:22
onlive

PHOENIX LIKE cloud based gaming service Onlive has promised its users that they won't suffer now that the business is under new management.

In an open letter sent to a fan website the firm said that it will retain its CEO and let players retain the games and content that they have paid for.

Last weekend it looked like the Onlive experience was over, and reports were saying that people with glum faces and cardboard boxes had been seen leaving its offices. Soon after an announcement was made, and although it cost former investors like HTC a lot of money, the firm was still in business with the same name.

Now we learn that it will keep its CEO too, which tells you nothing about how to get ahead in business and stay there, except perhaps that failure is sometimes rewarded. Anyway, for those fans that use Onlive, the website Onlivefans.com has repeated the message in its entirety.

"First we want to express our gratitude to the dedicated community at OnLive Fans who have been instrumental in building the Game Service from the early days," it says. "Onlive has a new investor, so we can assure everyone that that there will be complete continuity, and all of your purchases, achievements, Brag Clip videos, etc. are all there, with no interruption. Onlive has been up and running 24/7 since launch, and we absolutely plan to keep it that way."

These have been hard times for the firm though, and is says that this transition is the hardest thing that it has ever gone through. As we understand it about half of the employees were let go or offered consultancy work, while investors including BT and HTC dropped, in the case of the latter, millions of dollars on the deal.

Onlive doesn't want to explain too much about that though.

"We can't get into the details, but we faced a multidimensional business challenge because of the scope, depth and complexity of the Onlive Service, devices, apps, games, and social features, etc. It's unprecedented to do what OnLive has done in even a major corporation, let alone a startup," it says.

Big companies can absorb the uncertainty of an R&D project this big. For startups, sometimes you are left with no choice but to do a 'reboot' if you are going to keep the vision alive, so it can once again grow and evolve."

The firm reminded its users that Onlive will be part of the Ouya Android based games console project, adding again that it has some other interesting things to announce in the future. Whether users care or not, it also said that Steve Perlman remains at the helm, but more importantly, it also says that its now on a firm financial footing.

"With Onlive on solid financial footing, we see great things ahead. Instead of 'game over,' we will take this to a higher level," it adds.

"As always, we appreciate the Onlive Fans community and thank you for your ongoing support, particularly as we go through this very difficult 'reboot'. You were there at the beginning, and you have followed us through every step of our evolution, even really hard transitions like this. You're family to us, and in tough times, it's incredibly reassuring to know you are there." µ

 

Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

Advertisement
INQ Poll

Dead electronic devices to be banned on US-bound flights

Will the new rules banning uncharged devices be effective?