WHISTLEBLOWER WEB SITE Wikileaks is back online after a prolonged and ferocious attack on its servers.
The web site was down for over a week and had been the target of a powerful and sophisticated distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack, according to the Wikileaks Twitter account.
Wikileaks, which was bullish throughout the period, started to get its web site back in order on Monday when it took on extra capacity. Late Monday night it confirmed that it was back online but was still getting some extra attention.
Is that all your've got? Keep attacking, our skin just gets harder. DDoS proof, financially & geographically diverse. We're ready to rumble.— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) August 13, 2012
Late last week in a five point announcement on Twitter, it described the attack as coming in at well over 10Gbit/s, adding, "The range of IPs used is huge. Whoever is running it controls thousands of machines or is able to simulate them."
A group called Anti Leaks has taken credit for the attack and in a message it disputed suggestions that government agencies were actually behind the assault.
"We find the speculation that we are not behind these attacks and/or that we are CIA/NSA/FBI or even wikileaks themselves to be downright comical," it said on Monday.
Last week, when the attack began, the group said that it was protesting against Julian Assange's attempts to seek asylum in Ecuador.
"We are not doing this to call attention to ourselves. We are young adults, citizens of the United States of America and are deeply concerned about the recent developments with Julian Assange and his attempt at aslyum in Ecuador," it said in a statement.
"Assange is the head of a new breed of terrorist. We are doing this as a protest against his attempt to escape justice into Ecuador. This would be a catalyst for many more like him to rise up in his place. We will not stop and they will not stop us." µ
Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ