The Inquirer-Home

Kim Dotcom will launch the Megabox music service this year

Refusing to lay down and die
Mon Aug 13 2012, 09:59
kimdotcom-megaupload-filesharing

MEGAUPLOAD CHIEF Kim Dotcom is still planning to launch Megabox, his artist favouring music service this year.

Dotcom and Megaupload are under legal attack by the US authorities and he is facing extradition and charges that range through racketeering and money laundering. He will launch Megabox this year, despite this, and said that it will be "unstoppable".

"Yes... Megabox is also coming this year ;-)," he tweeted. "I know what you are all waiting for. It's coming. This year. Promise. Bigger. Better. Faster. 100% Safe & Unstoppable."

Megabox, which Dotcom revealed last year in an article for Torrentfreak, will disrupt the music industry with its business model. That model, he said, will reward the artist with 90 per cent of their earnings.

"You need to understand that some labels are run by arrogant and outdated dinosaurs who have been in business for 1000 years. These guys think an Ipad is a facial treatment, the Internet is the devil, and wired phones are still hip. They are in denial about the new realities and opportunities," he said.

"They don't understand that the rip-off days are over. Artists are more educated than ever about how they are getting ripped off and how the big labels only look after themselves."

So different is the Megabox business model, he explained, that it will even pay artists if they release a song for free. Dotcom said that several artists are keen on joining the service. µ

 

Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

Advertisement
INQ Poll

Apple announces the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch

Which of Apple's new products will you be buying?