The Inquirer-Home

INQUIRER readers think the end is coming for Nokia

60 per cent think the Finnish phone firm will go out of business
Thu Aug 02 2012, 11:00
Nokia logo

STRUGGLING FINNISH PHONE MAKER Nokia won't be around for much longer, according to readers of The INQUIRER.

Following Nokia's second quarter 2012 earnings, which saw the company post a staggering €826m loss despite an increase in smartphone sales, we asked our readers what will be next for the flailing phone maker.

Quite surprisingly, the majority of INQUIRER readers - 59 per cent - said that they think the Finnish phone firm will go out of business as it fails to recover from such drastic losses. Another 18 per cent voted that after Microsoft has 'weakened the company enough' it will buy Nokia cheap - which means that a total of 77 per cent of our readers believe the end game is in sight, one way or another, for the one-time mobile phone king.

Not all INQUIRER readers are as pessimistic though, as seven per cent of those polled believe that Windows Phone will become a success, which will be the firm's saving grace. Another 10 per cent said that Windows Phone will fail, but that Nokia will wisen up and move to Android, and that will help the phone maker survive.

That's unlikely to happen, however, as Nokia is pinning all of its hopes on Windows Phone 8.

Speaking on the company's second quarter earnings call, Nokia CEO Stephen Elop said, "We shipped four million Lumia Smartphones in Q2, and we plan to provide updates to current Lumia products over time, well beyond the launch of Windows Phone 8.

"We believe the Windows Phone 8 launch will be an important catalyst for Lumia." µ

 

Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

Advertisement
INQ Poll

Blackberry completes restructuring process

Do you think Blackberry can bounce back to growth?