THE BAN on sales of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone in the US has been lifted, after Samsung appealed the preliminary injunction that saw the handset removed from shelves.
The ban came into force a week ago after US District Court Judge Lucy Koh ruled that the Galaxy Nexus infringes four patents held by Apple.
"Apple has made a clear showing that, in the absence of a preliminary injunction, it is likely to lose substantial market share in the smartphone market and to lose substantial downstream sales of future smartphone purchases and tag-along products," Judge Koh said in her ruling.
Despite ignoring Samsung's appeal to lift the injunction last week, a US appeals court on Friday overturned Judge Koh's ruling, which means that the Google branded Galaxy Nexus is again on sale in the Google Play store.
This is because Google has announced that the Galaxy Nexus will ship running the latest version of its mobile operating system, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, which should stop the phone from infringing on Apple's patents.
However, the appeals court said that the ban could be put back into place if Apple argues against the decision, giving it until July 12 to object. The appeals court declined to lift the ban on the Galaxy Tab 10.1.
Neither Google nor Apple was available for comment at the time of writing. µ