The Inquirer-Home

Microsoft lines up another Kelihos suspect

The botnet that keeps on giving
Tue Jan 24 2012, 09:19

SOFTWARE HOUSE Microsoft has named another suspect in the Kelihos botnet case, one Andrey N Sabelnikov, a Russian citizen.

Like a dog with a ball Microsoft has actively pursued those behind the botnet and this latest accused joins an existing list of suspects. In its latest amended complaint filed with the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, it alleges that Sabelnikov is responsible for the operations of the Kelihos botnet.

The firm has already dismissed two cases against domain owners whose sub domains were used to operate the botnet, and working with these parties has allowed it to name Sabelnikov, it said. Sabelnikov is charged with misusing 3,700 "cz.cc" subdomains to operate and control the Kelihos botnet.

"In today's complaint, Microsoft presented evidence to the court that Mr. Sabelnikov wrote the code for and either created, or participated in creating, the Kelihos malware. Further, the complaint alleges that he used the malware to control, operate, maintain and grow the Kelihos botnet," said Richard Domingues Boscovich, a senior attorney in Microsoft's Digital Crimes Unit.

"These allegations are based on evidence Microsoft investigators uncovered while analyzing the Kelihos malware."

Although Microsoft took down the botnet in September of last year, it warned that thousands of computers were still infected with the malware. µ

 

Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

Advertisement
INQ Poll

Microsoft's Windows 10 Preview has permission to watch your every move

Does Microsoft have the right to keylog users of its Windows 10 Technical Preview?