THIRTEEN MILLION Korean gamers might be open to data abuse after hackers broke into gaming outfit Nexon and plucked their Maple Story credentials.
Reports from the South Korea say that the Korea Communications Commission (KCC) has warned about the threat to online gamers that was revealed to it late on Friday.
Nexon's Maple Story game has 13.2 million Korean subscribers and, according to the Korea Times, they risk exposure after their names, user identifications, resident registration numbers and passwords were leaked through the hacking incident.
The KCC ordered Nexon to inform its users and apparently it has. Unfortunately its web site is rather hard to navigate. The statement is not mirrored on the Nexon US web site, but this message, from Nexon CEO Seo Min via the Associated Press, apparently is it. He said, "We are taking all measures to prevent possible damages from the leakage and will come up with follow-up measures to ease your anxiety."
The Korean data watchdog will also carry out its own investigations, says the newspaper. "We have set up an investigation team, comprising of experts in private information and security, to get further details," a spokesperson for the KCC told the Korean Times.
The hacking attacked a backup server and took place on 18 November. The firm did not discover the break-in until late last week, however, but it appears to have reacted quickly. µ
OurMine group claims his security was 'really weak'
Chipmaker turns to litigation after Chinese firm refuses to negotiate
Power9-powered machine will be delivered to the US Department of Energy in 2018
Social Security numbers are shipping