The Inquirer-Home

Acer ditches netbooks for tablets

In three months netbooks are old hat
Tue Jan 18 2011, 17:32

REVERSING ITS VIEW just three months after declaring that netbooks were here to stay, Acer will reduce its range of netbooks and limit the volumes it makes.

As tablets become more popular, the production of remaining netbooks will be scaled back as they head for the dustbin of obsolete toys. That's what Acer told the IDG news service.

It was only last September that Acer president Scott Lin was quite confident that tablets would not kill off netbooks, so the change in outlook just three months later demonstrates the dramatic impact that tablet devices have had.

Acer might have bowed to the prevailing industry view after Lenovo's COO Rory Read announced last week that tablets were killing netbooks dead.

Acer told The INQUIRER last week that it will launch two Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablets in April, one device with a 10-inch screen and the other with a 7-inch display. Acer told IDG that its 10-inch and 7-inch tablets will have Sandy Bridge architecture Intel chips. µ

 

Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

Advertisement
INQ Poll

Microsoft's Windows 10 Preview has permission to watch your every move

Does Microsoft have the right to keylog users of its Windows 10 Technical Preview?