The Inquirer-Home

Xbox 360 killed our kid

Parents sue Microsoft
Tue May 29 2007, 17:20
THE FAMILY of an Illinois kid who died in a house fire has sued Microsoft claiming that its faulty "Xbox 360" was responsible.

According to the India Times, the family believes that the wiring that connected the Xbox 360 to an electrical outlet became so hot that it started a "catastrophic" fire. Kline was killed in the fire.

The lawsuit claims that the fire was a "direct and proximate result of the overheating of the game's power supply and wiring". The case will put Vole, Wal-Mart and unnamed power-supply maker have been named in the suit.

The fire occurred in December 2004 when the Xbox 360 didn't officially launch until May 2005, so the lawyers for the family might have got that wrong when designing the suit.

If it was a first generation Xbox then there is a bit of history involved with power cords. In February 2005, Microsoft had announced a recall of more than 14 million Xbox power cords, citing fire concerns.

Wade Kline's family is seeking 'unspecified damages' in excess of $50,000. More here.


Share this:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to INQ newsletters

Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ

INQ Poll

Dead electronic devices to be banned on US-bound flights

Will the new rules banning uncharged devices be effective?