Christopher Aston from Liverpool and Maria Williams from south London are believed to have met up in London in February following an online encounter at a so-called suicide site. They later died after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from barbeque charcoal.
The Daily Telegraph says that the incident highlights the need for greater regulation of the Internet, and has written of its support for a charity called Parents for Prevention of Young Suicide.
A spokesman for the group says it has been dreading the moment something like this would happen. Websites that encourage potential suicide pacts should be closed down, believes the organisation.
It did not offer comment on the administrative difficulties that such a licensing move might cause. Or say what else needs to be censored to protect people who want to kill themselves.
More here. µ
Sign up for INQbot – a weekly roundup of the best from the INQ